Here’s something about me. And how I can help you.
If you need a professional proofreader then you’re in the right place.
You might be an author, business, publisher or student – you will find out if we’re a good match by reading my ‘What I Do’ page.
Qualities of my proofreading service
You are guaranteed:
- training and professionalism – see my qualifications below
- integrity – you are offered fair Terms & Conditions, within the CIEP Code of Practice
- consistency – your writing style is analysed for all matters of inconsistency
- quality – a high standard of efficient error-checking.
Here’s why I am qualified to check that your writing is error free. My training certificates follow below:
Courses & Qualifications
I have completed these trusted and respected CIEP training courses (most recent first):
- Dec 2020: CIEP Copyediting 1: Introduction Copyediting 1_ Introduction_ Certificate
- Nov 2020: CIEP annual conference (online) CIEP conference certificate 2020
- May 2020: Completion of CIEP Proofreading mentoring scheme (mentoring from an AP CIEP member). See certificate above.
- Sept 2019: SfEP 2019 annual conference in Birmingham (3rd) Certificate Conference 2019
- May 2019: SfEP North East Mini Conference in Newcastle Certificate SfEPNEConf
- Nov 2018: Educational Publishing Development Day EducPub CPD Certificate
- Sept 2018: SfEP 2018 annual conference in Lancaster (2nd) Certificate Conference 2018
- Feb 2018: ‘Getting work with non-publishers’ (workshop) Certificate GWWNP Feb18
- Oct 2017: SfEP ‘References’ Course (online) Certificate References Course
- Sept 2017: SfEP 2017 annual conference in Bedford (1st) Certificate Conference 2017
- May 2017: SfEP ‘Proofreading Progress’ Course (online) Certificate Proofreading Progress (P2)
In the beginning …
A retired classroom teacher, I started my freelance proofreading business in January 2017, when I suffered health issues.
I began as an Entry Level Member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP) in January 2016. I upgraded to Intermediate Member in February 2018 by training and gaining experience as a proofreader and editor.
My background …
I graduated in the late 80s with a BEd degree (Primary Education), having grown up in Paisley, near Glasgow. Hence the Scottish name for my blog. Have you read any of my blog posts yet?
On graduation, I ventured ‘South of the Border’ – eek – to begin teaching. I taught in classrooms in Essex, until 2015. Now I use my marking and marketing skills to freelance with my own business. With MUCH enthusiasm.
If you are a fellow editor or teacher, I post a monthly blog called #TallTartanTalks (Was #TallTartanTells) about my business experiences. Read my weekly tips about my experiences on LinkedIn by searching for the hashtag #TallTartanTips. If you click follow, you won’t miss any of my posts.
Another part of my portfolio is tutoring primary school children on a 1-1 basis. Some habits are hard to break … See my Tuition page.
I also need little people in my life as I live with two strapping sons and an artistic husband, all over 6 feet tall. Stroking the cats helps too.